Thursday, April 20, 2006

The "Middle" Class

I have the morning off from work, so I sit here drinking my java, contemplating whether I will drive to the gas station & pay $2.95 a gallon for gas today or ride my bike to work. The weather looks decent---I will opt for the bike ride. It's 5.3 miles each way--that's a good ride, takes me about 35 minutes, and it's good for me.
Most people don't have that option. Gas seems to "drive" us all. Oil companies bank on this. As this middle class struggles to stay above water, the oil companies are making billions in profit--that's PROFIT! So, as they increase their paunch, I work on decreasing mine. I'm ok with that, but I'd like it to be a sporting option & not a survival one.
You see, corporations gave themselves good raises last year--I got a .55 cent/hour raise--and I'm a really good employee.
I'm lucky, I have medical insurance. If I have a major illness, I'll go into debt for years, but more than likely won't have to file bankruptcy. Millions of Americans don't have it that good. I also don't get vacation time--well, 1 day after the first year of full time employment, then it increases a day each year.
I'm going to Florida on vacation next month--9 days-I lose money just to get some rest. Again, I'm lucky. I'm GOING on vacation--most Americans find this difficult without going into debt.
Not to mention, the hours worked by the middle class has increased and people have no time to pay attention to what is going on in our world. We work, go home, pay bills, eat, take care of our family & try to sleep.( I also try to squeeze college classes in there) The lower middle class & the poverty stricken have it 100 times worse.
I'm not sure what the answers are, but pointing out what is going on is the start.

Peace,
Deanna

2 comments:

IVSTINIANVS said...

The great Keynesian vision -- where a big healthy middle class would be able to afford the mass market of houses and cars and goods, which in turn would create more jobs for more people to make it into the middle class -- is long gone.

Nowadays, we are turning into a Latin American economy, with a super-rich elite in gated communities, and a minimum-wage underclass who can only afford to shop at Walmart and eat at McDonalds and who work there, too! Who needs a middle class anymore?

DeannaHawk said...

yes, a polarized society-our next huge riots won't be race, they will be class.

Thanks for stopping by.