Saturday, April 08, 2006

Hunger In America

Looking back to when I was renting my first apartment back in 1987, I was poor. I was only 20 years old and I had a 7 month old baby. I was recently divorced and working in a fast food restaurant. My ex-husband was skipping out on his obligation to pay support & I was working my fingers to the bone to keep above water.
When my son turned 10 months old, I got a different job--working as a receptionist at an animal hospital; the same company I work at now almost 20 years later.
I was excited, because I was getting a raise. I think minimum wage was something like $4.10 an hour and I had vaulted to $5.50 an hour. I felt rich!
But, as with any job change, there was that 2 week waiting period before I received my first paycheck. On that Thursday night, the day before my big new paycheck, I was down to 1 jar of baby food & a can of pork & beans & a couple swallows of milk. That was the closest to going hungary that I have ever come. I was lucky. I didn't go on food stamps or have to go to the food bank.

Hunger, in America, has risen by 43% over the last five years. 9% rely on food assistance on an emergency basis.
Of course, children & seniors are our most vulnerable.
We, as a society, do not like to talk about hunger & poverty in America. If I were starting out my adult life today, I would not be making it, no matter how hard I worked. Our nation is different now.
Please support this site-- The Hunger Site : Give Food for Free to Hungry People in the World clicking here on a daily basis can be the difference of someone going hungary or not. I invite you to check out the products & other links associated with the site.

Peace,

Deanna

No comments: