Thursday, June 22, 2006

Ojibwe Culture




My great grandmother Agnes LePage Dalbec passed away in 1993 and was well into her 90's.
She lived her entire life in northern Wisconsin & Minnesota. We called her "cookie grandma" and she had a great sense of humor and was in love with Bill Clinton. She wasn't political, she just thought he was so handsome.
I spent a lot of time with her when we would visit, but I never had the chance to talk to her about our Ojibwe heritage.
In fact, no one in the family did; my mom, cousins, and other family members learned you did not ask Gram about that.
It made her very angry.
So, from what I could gather, she had experienced a lot of racism as a younger child & woman and gravitated toward white culture. She married a French-Canadian man, Willard Dalbec when she was 14 years old. She had my Grandma when she was 15.
It's unfortunate, because there is so much I don't know. Here's a couple links on the culture & language.
It's really quite fascinating.

Ojibway Culture and History

Learn Ojibwe - Ojibwe Books, Courses, and Software

Peace,
Deanna

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am half mexican but my father refused to let my mothers mom speak spanish to us. I still consider it racist..and my father a racist. He is a a full blooded norweigan..talk about white..I have four siblings..three are scandanavian in looks, me and my brother are the dark ones..my paternal grandfather never touched me..ever..

I think I need to end this..

DeannaHawk said...

Racism hurts everyone on the planet....it's just that simple. But the children.....Dusty......it's a wound that keeps getting the scab ripped from it.

Peace to you, my friend.

DeannaHawk said...

Racism hurts everyone on the planet....it's just that simple. But the children.....Dusty......it's a wound that keeps getting the scab ripped from it.

Peace to you, my friend.