Saturday, May 20, 2006

Suicide At Gitmo


On Thursday, while I relax in Key West on vacation, 4 men attempt suicide at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, a mere 90 miles south of where I am.

I had been thinking of the prisoners at Gitmo as I stood at the southernmost point in the United States, sending them a silent prayer. I avoided the news while on vacation--I really needed to step back from the constant stream of information I had been taking in on a daily basis. Balance, I always preach to my kids......you have to maintain balance with all things. I wasn't even taking my own advice until I was forcing myself NOT to watch the news while on vacation.

I was burning out.

But......I wasn't suicidal. I wasn't imprisoned with no charges stated against me. I wasn't housed in a mesh cage. I wasn't feeling like there was no hope.

When there is no hope, one may choose to take control of the only thing left--their own life. Many Gitmo prisoners over the past few years have come to this point. At least having their "day in court" gives them a chance to fight for their lives, defend themselves, gives them a chance to prove innocence----or prove guilt. It gives them a chance.

This is a very cruel form of torture. OOPS---USA doesn't torture--I forgot.

Until tomorrow.
Deanna

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The UN has weighed in on Gitmo..the reasonable among us have been asking "why" for a long time now..

They are getting international attention now, sad way to attract it if you ask me, but they don't have alot of choices there.

DeannaHawk said...

It's amazing Dusty---look at the international news--everyone around the world knows what's REALLY going on in our country except our OWN CITIZENS! Don't ya luv corporate media?

Unknown said...

The MSM is worthless. If it wasn't for the internet news sites I wouldn't have a clue..seriously.

Enjoy your Sunday :)

DeannaHawk said...

Yeppers! And you know they are trying to control THAT also----easier to control people who are ignorant.

see ya,

D :)