Monday, March 27, 2006

.....And the band plays the "Song of Fear"

Fear. It's not like people aren't speaking up---look atMichael Moore ; he stood at the Oscars & called Bush a "fictitious President" and a draft dodger. He received cheers & boos. Cindy Sheehan has been a fire-cracker speaking out about the administration & George Bush claiming her son died for a "noble cause". As an invited guest to the State of the Union Address, she was arrested.Link Even musicians like the Dixie Chicks have been very vocal--they received alot of flack from some of their fans, but that has not forced them to desert their passion for the 1st Amendment.Read about their new song here

What keeps others from speaking about what is going on?

Are we afraid? Uncomfortable about angering others? Scared we might get arrested? Concerned someone might take a belt at us?

I know I make others uncomfortable when I talk about Bush lying, the administration forsaking our fellow Americans in New Orleans, racism, Cheney's link to Halliburton & Iraq, all the Bin Laden's the Bush lot is friendly with, and even when I point out the Democrats lack of......well.....um.....vim in dealing with the Republican tenacity. I could continue......but you get the picture. It's SUPPOSED to make you feel uncomfortable!!! It's your body's way of telling you something is wrong & you need to do something about it.
I was told by someone the other day that I shouldn't be so judgemental when pointing out that we are STILL clearing bodies from New Orleans 6 months after the storm. I reminded this person that pointing out a FACT was not judgemental--it's stating what is going on. She didn't get it. Very frustrating.

So, what exactly is keeping the average joe from speaking out? Does joe even care? Is he working so hard at 40+ hours at his min. wage job he doesn't have time? Any wisdom?

I'll do some more research myself--until tomorrow.

Peace,
Deanna :)

No comments: