Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Weekend Break

I've been neglecting my blog.

What can I say; I have a fairly busy life. I work full time at an animal hospital and go to college part time. My job requires rather long hours and we rarely get breaks. Pet owners are a very needy bunch, that's for sure.

I will be starting my summer intership in a few days in addition to working full time at my job. Foundations provides assessments, classes and counseling in substance abuse and I'm working on my counseling certification.

Its ironic that my position at the veterinary clinic has been so helpful in my practicing listening skills for counseling others. I don't know how many times I've been with a client in an exam room and they are dealing with an emotional aspect with their pet such as a grave illness or contemplating euthanasia and they begin to talk about other issues in their life that are painful. Many times, after talking for several minutes they look up at me and say, "I don't know why I'm telling you all this."




Difficult situations bring up emotions that people have been dealing with and its understandable that its all connected and they begin to talk about it. Some people deal with it by crying, or projecting anger onto the staff or being silent. Everyone is different. I try to be understanding and meet them where they are.
Have a great Saturday. More tomorrow for Mother's Day. Here's a link to visit that I love:Multiplayer Online Games - Spogg.com

Peace.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Since I have a housefull of dogs and cats I can attest to PETS needing a lot of attention..me..I just pay the bills :)