Saturday, July 08, 2006

No Sweat!

Busted Tees - Jokes you can wear! Funny T-Shirts!



My boss is on vacation, which pretty much means--I'm NOT! I have been working extra hours and taking care of many issues she would normally handle.
It's highly irregular that I would miss a post, but yesterday, I did.

Having pointed my current situation out, it brings me to other workers around the globe. I really have no place to complain, I do not labor in a sweat shop.

What exactly is a sweat shop? Well, sweat shops don't pay a living wage. That means if a living wage is, say, $1.25 in that country an hour, they are paid around 24 cents an hour. The working conditions do not fall under safety guidelines, the hours are 12-16 per day with no overtime, many workers are forced to have abortions, are killed if they try to unionize, and are stuck---sounds like slavery to me.

It's important to do your research on who is making your clothing. Are your benefiting from someone's forced slavery?


No Sweat -- Union-Made Sweatshop-Free Casual Apparel

We can stop these organizations, whose corporations are making billions off other peoples backs by NOT buying their goods.
It's about the money people and you have to hit them in their pockets before they change their behaviors.

Peace,
Deanna

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My dear Deanna. You haven't lived until you have worked in a sweat shop...trust me on this.

There is nothing in the world like working by "the piece" which I did whilst living in Boston in the early 70's. "Piece work" Means if your slow, you don't make shit for a whole day of busting your ass,suffering intolerable heat since there is NO a/c and to top it off, if you complain about anything they browbeat the hell out of you and threaten to "can" you..which they won't do since they know normal folk won't do such work..

Yes, we still had sweatshops here in the good old US of A in the 70's. They hired nothing but immigrants that couldn't bitch or speak english..and I bet if we look hard enough..we still have them.

DeannaHawk said...

oh yes, they are here.

class divisions? We don't have no class divides in our country--everyone is the same--right?
Elitist bastards!