Sunday, December 16, 2007

Abuse & Dependence




Such a fine line, sometimes, between abuse and dependence of a drug such as alcohol.
We live in a drinking culture; alcohol is legal and easily acquired. In our culture, as children, we learn that alcohol always works. Our parents use it. The kid down the street does. Even the little old lady next door takes a nip or two. A rough day at the office--relax with a toddy. Bad exam in college--"Let's go get fucked up!"

A drink relaxes the body--eases tension. Social drinkers do this. Have "A" drink or maybe two.

With abuse, the drinker begins to teach himself to drink...over time a few more at each sitting. Tolerance of alcohol starts to build up. Tolerance alone does not warrent alcoholism--abusers certainly can build up a tolerance to booze over time. Sometimes abuse and dependence intertwine and it gets confusing--do I have a problem or not?

One of the biggest criteria to dependence, I believe, lies in loss of control. If I'm drinking for a longer period of time or my intention is to go out and have a couple and I end up drinking much more than intended, I have crossed over into loss of control.
If I'm spending a great deal of time preoccupied with drinking and making plans around my activities so as to be around drinking, this is something to look at also.

If on medication for ailments such as diabetes or hypertension (high blood pressure), doctors are usually very clear about NOT drinking alcohol if one has these conditions. Any medication mixed with alcohol can have adverse to deadly affects.

Ask yourself some questions:

Alcohol Abuse Symptoms - Am I an Alcoholic?

Peace.

No comments: